A clinic nurse provides professional triage of OB/GYN calls and assists providers in accordance with accepted medical and Great Plains Women’s Health Center (GPWHC) protocols. Clinic nurses also perform nursing assessments, provide general nursing care, counseling and teaching to patients.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Learns and becomes proficient with the clinic’s electronic medical records system.
- Takes incoming obstetric and gynecological telephone calls from patients. Performs nursing assessments, makes decisions and judgments, answers questions and advises patients within established guidelines.
Documents telephone triage, patient education and patient instruction accurately.
- Works with the front office personnel to schedules appointments appropriately, in accordance with booking protocols.
- Triages test results for provider review and/or appropriate follow-up. Contacts patients with results/follow-ups as directed or in accordance with established GPWHC medical protocols or as directed by provider.
- May be responsible for review of Pap smear and/or mammogram results, entering data for results/recall, and ensuring that abnormal results are efficiently processed and appropriately followed up on in accordance with established GPWHC protocols.
- Sends prescriptions and refills into pharmacies as directed by the provider in accordance with office standards.
- Provides patient education and instruction; maintains up-to-date instruction and health education material.
- Administers prescribed medications and treatments following approved GPWHC techniques; ensures proper documentation in the medical record.
- Completes referrals to specialists for patients as needed.
- Schedules surgeries in accordance with booking protocols.
- Completes duties in a HIPAA compliant way with respect to a patient’s right to privacy, dignity, and confidentiality.
- Serves as a resource person for staff members. Provides nursing support and teaching to staff when appropriate.
- Attends clinical team and GPWHC staff meetings.
- Demonstrates cooperative work attitude toward and with physicians, co-employees, management, patients, visitors and sales representatives.
- Able to multi-task in a fast paced environment.
- Maintains regular attendance.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the clinical staff manager or practice partners.
Organizational Duties and Responsibilities
- Learn and become proficient with the clinic's electronic medical records system.
- Maintain compliance with federal and state regulations, as trained.
- Follows all GPWHC Employee Handbook policies and procedures.
- Respect and promote patient rights.
- Respond appropriately to emergencies.
- Be an outstanding team member.
- Demonstrate a cooperative work attitude and respect toward physicians, co-employees, management, patients, visitors and sales representatives.
- Identify ways to improve practice operations.
- Position requires work in medical office environment 100% of the time.
- Exposure to bio-hazardous materials and medical chemicals is minimal.
- Uses voice a significant amount of time, while communicating with patients and other GPWHC team members.
- Is susceptible to communicable disease transmitted by patients and co-workers.
- Currently registered by the State of North Dakota to practice as a Registered Professional Nurse or Licensed Practical Nurse.
- Maintains a current CPR certification.
- OB/GYN office experience preferred with the ability to demonstrate proficiency and understanding of the complete functions of an OB/GYN clinic nurse.
Salary is Negotiable.
Job Type: Full time
Required License or certification
- Licensed by the State of North Dakota to practice as a Registered Nurse (RN) or Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN).